Monday, March 23, 2009

Hot, sweet and sour Tomato thokku

My aunty made this extremely versatile and delicious tomato thokku when she visited me a year ago. I decided to make this thokku when I saw the FIL-Tomato event hosted by Sanghi.

Luckily I had a lot of tomatoes too. I called my aunty immediately, got the recipe and prepared the thokku. It came out very tasty. It was perfect..Hot, sweet and sour. It is so versatile that it can be eaten with bread, roti or even rice.

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

Tomato: 600gms Red chily: 10 long Fenugreek seeds: 10 seeds Vegetable Oil: 4 tbsp Gingely oil: 2 tbsp mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp Procedure
1. Soak red chily, fenugreek seeds and asofoetida in water(pour water till the chily immerses.) for 10 minutes. 2. Cut tomatoes into big pieces. 3. In a mixer, grind the soaked items. Once the chillies are ground well, add the tomatoes and grind tomatoes are pureed.(If there are one or two tomato lumps, its OK.It will get cooked in the pan later. 4. In a sauce pan/kadai, add vegetable oil. When it is hot add mustard. Once it splutters pur the tomato puree and mix well. 5. Keep in medium flame and cover with a lid. (Don't forget to close with a lid. Otherwise, it will splutter all over the wall.) 6. Open the lid and stir once in a while. 7. Let it be in the stove for around 25 minutes or till it comes to thokku consistency.(water in tomato puree should evaporated completely and the puree should start leaving the sides of the pan) 8. Now add the gingelly oil and jaggery and mix well. 9. Remove from stove. 10. Allow it to cool. Store in an air tight container.It can be stored for 2 weeks if kept in fridge.

It can be eaten with bread, rice or roti.

Note:I have added jaggery because we like the thokku to be sweet. If one does not want it to be sweet, jaggery need not be added.. Also based on one's spice level, red chilly can be increased or decreased. Mine is not very spicy.

This is a recipe which my aunty made with a lot of love for us. I made this dish with the same love for my family and also sending it to Sanghi's FIL-Tomato event.

1 comment:

Dear Reader,
Thank You for your valuable suggestion/feedback.
I will get back to you for any queries on the recipe.
Thank You.