Monday, July 13, 2009

Vegan Scones

When I asked Vaishali of Holy Cow if Scottish dishes are allowed for IAVW-British event, I really did not have any particular dish in mind. But coincidently I made vegan scones which are Scottish in origin. I had been planning to bake the scones since I saw them in so many blogs. This weekend I could and we liked them very much. Especially I loved it with the jam topping. We had them for breakfast before leaving for Innovative Film City for a weekend getaway.

Ingredients to make around 20 scones

All purpose flour: 2 cups Castor Sugar/Granulated white sugar: 2 tbsp Baking powder: 2 tsp Vegan butter: 5 tbsp cold (I used Nutralite) Soy milk: 1/2 cup Salt: 1/2 tsp Jam for topping(I used mixed fruit jam) Vegan buttercream for topping(optional)
Procedure

1. Pre heat oven to 180 degree C. 2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. 3. Add butter and rub so that the mixture resembles bread crumbs.(I did this with hand) 4. Make a well in the centre and add the milk and mix to form a soft dough.(Mix lightly without giving much pressure,otherwise the scones will be very hard) 5. Make lemon sized balls of the dough and flatten. 6. Place in a baking tray covered with parchment paper and bake for around 15 minutes or until the top of the scone turns slightly brown. 7. Top the scones with jam and vegan buttercream(I just mixed a tbsp of nutralite with 2 tbsp of icing sugar).

Have it as a breakfast accompanied with some fruit juice or as an evening snack with a hot cup of tea.

This is my entry to IAVW-British hosted by Vaishali.

8 comments:

  1. Priya, those look utterly delicious. I am a huge fan of scones too. Thanks for sending them in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats abeautiful veagan recipe..am sure it must have made a lovely breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its my pleasure Vaishali.
    Thanks Sowmya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey priya,
    Ur recipe presentation is very nice , it's so to the point. Sure on dart for people who want to try, this recipe is so much like the butter biscuits made back home :)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe,it's a perfect all rounder :)
    Nice snaps n kudos to ur effort!!!
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Suparna..Its is like biscuits but with a fancy name..:-)
    Thanks for your kind words..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely...I've been hoping to make scones...this recipe sounds nice and simple...will try soon...thanks for dropping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iam yet to try scones at home. I have seen it so many blogs by now. Good idea of a breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Reader,
Thank You for your valuable suggestion/feedback.
I will get back to you for any queries on the recipe.
Thank You.