Sunday, November 29, 2009

Vegan cashew and walnuts Quick bread


I actually started out making vegan sandwich bread. Unfortunately yeast wasn't active, so could not proceed any further. I then decided to bake a quick bread and searched in google. I liked Madhuram's vegan cranberry quick bread recipe the best. I made some modifications to the original recipe and the final result was good. I also doubled the quantity.
Ingredients to make 2 small loaves

All Purpose Flour/Maida: 4 cups(I used 2 1/2 cups maida and 1 /2 cups wheat flour) Granulated Sugar: 3/4 cup Lion Dates Syrup: 3/4 cup(Instead adding another 3/4 cup sugar, I added this) Walnuts and Cashew: 1/2 cup (coarsely chopped) Baking Powder: 4 tsp Salt: 1/2 tsp Flax Seed Meal: 2 tsp Warm Water: 1/2 cup Orange Juice: 1 cup(freshly squeezed is better) Vegetable Oil: 1/2 cup(I used Sunflower refined oil) Applesauce: 1/2 cup
Procedure

1. Preheat oven to 180 degree C and grease the loaf pan. 2. In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. 3. Add sugar and nuts to the dry mixture and combine. 3. Whisk/blend together the flax seed meal and water until white and foamy.I(I whisked for almost 5 minutes, but it did not turn foamy, anyway I used it.) 4. In another large bowl, mix together the flax seed mixture, orange juice, oil, dates syrup and applesauce. 5. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. 6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. 7. Cool it before serving.

Note: Its better to check if the bread is baked after around 45 minutes. I did not do that and the bread got burnt at the bottom which can be seen in the photos.

7 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds interesting, I never tried baking...wish to try real soon, after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am not comfortable with yeast Priya. I have this phobia. Wish to plunge in that area sometime. Your bread has come out good. I wish I could also get dates syrup here so that I can try that while baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That surely is delicious, nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the traditional bread recipe, nice clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love walnuts in breads,sounds too gud Priya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sure does look tempting! Need a small favor. Read in the comments that you own a prestige OTG. I too have one, but can't figure out the cooking modes.

    It has options for enabling lower, upper heating rod, etc. However, it does not have clear-cut options for baking, grilling, toasting, etc. I would appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Reader,
Thank You for your valuable suggestion/feedback.
I will get back to you for any queries on the recipe.
Thank You.