Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Strawberry jelly and cream" sandwiched eggless vanilla cake

I decided to participate in FIC-Pink event guest hosted by Priya (announced by Harini of Tongue Ticklers) as soon as I saw it. Pink being my favourite color, I did not want to miss this event. As soon as I saw pink as the color for the FIC event, only rose milk came to my mind. It was my co-sister who suggested using strawberries for the recipe.. The idea of combining jelly, cake and cream was given by her and I am obviously awe struck at her culinary skills.

So here is the recipe for Strawberry jelly and cream sandwiched eggless vanilla cake. The SJACS eggless vanilla cake consists of three individual recipes.

1. Strawberry jelly
2. Eggless vanilla cake
3. Strawberry cream(icing)seet

Strawberry Jelly

Ingredients

Strawberry Jelly mix: 1 packet or 100 gms(I used Weikfield brand)Powdered Sugar: 3 tbsp(Optional)
Procedure

1. Follow the instructions in the package to set the jelly. 2. Refrigerate the set jelly.
Note:

1. I did not add powdered sugar this time. But I will definitely add the next time as the sweetness was not sufficient for us. 2. I added some jelly mix to set in the glass in which I was going to make the sandwich. (A little less than 1/4th the glass)

Eggless Vanilla Cake

I have made this cake number of times and every time I get the same great texture and taste. To make this cake, I just followed Bharti’s recipe. This is one of the cake recipes that's a treasure.

Ingredients

All purpose flour/maida: 2 cups(260 gms) Usalted butter: 5 tbsp at room temperature(ariubd 65 gms) Sweetened condensed milk: 1 tin(400 gms) Butter milk: around 1/2 cup(around 120 gms)(Butter milk quantity can be varied a bit based on the consistency of the cake batter) Baking powder: 1 tsp Baking Soda: 1 tsp Vanilla Essence: 2 tsp
Procedure

1. Pre heat oven to 150 degree C. 2. Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly. 3. Cream the butter and condensed milk using an electric hand mixer until soft. (I generally mix/beat with an egg beater. I recently bought a electric hand mixer, hence used that.) 4. Add butter milk and vanilla essence and beat again for few seconds. 5. Add the dry ingredients 3 tbsp at a time to the wet mixture and mix well in one direction. (Need not beat. I generally do this with hand) 6. Pour the batter in a greased cake pan and bake for around 30 to 35 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
Note:

I made some cup cakes too using muffin tin which was very useful for making the sandwich cake. See more on it in Putting Everything Together Section.

Strawberry Cream

Ingredients

Unsalted Butter: 3 tbsp(butter should be at room temperature)Icing sugar: 10 tbsp Strawberry Essence: 2 tbsp Milk: 1 tbsp(Optional)
Procedure

1. Beat butter, strawberry essence/puree/powder and icing sugar using a hand mixer or egg beater. 2. If the mixture is very thick, add a little milk to bring it to a spreadable consistency.
Note:

I did not have Strawberry Essence. So I saved some powder(2 tbsp) from Strawberry Jelly mix and used it in the cream instead of essence. Since I wanted to pour the cream over the cake, I made it a bit thin by adding more milk.

Putting everything together

I used a juice glass to make the sandwich cake.

1. If the jelly is already set in the glass, proceed to the next step. Otherwise, cut a small piece of jelly using a cookie cutter and put in the glass.
2. Cut 2 pieces of cake using a cookie cutter and place one piece on top of the jelly in the glass. Instead of cutting the big cake, I cut the cup cake using the cookie cutter as that was easier. Also I did not want to disturb the big cake
3. Pour some cream on top of the cake and place the other piece too. Again pour some cream. Decorate with some cherries.

I did this sandwich especially for the event. So the last step(Putting everything together) can be modified according to one's one creativity. I thought the jelly would also be in light pink in color, but it was dark pink or rather red. But the cream is still pink in color and I am sending this recipe to Priya’s FIC-Pink event

.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Priya...This is really delicious..send me, am just drooling rite now to have them.. Thanks for sending FIC...Grea job dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So delicious! Thanks for participating:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey these recipes are awssum..!!thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for d recipes..they are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much...i brought an OTG but my wife was always behind me stating she cant do anything with it ....took print out of the recipies...we have tried out some of your cakes ...came out wonderful...she is happy now...thanks sooo muuuch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for any other magnificent post. The place else may anybody
    get that type of info in such a perfect means of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such info.

    My web-site :: avis Binoa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even understand how I ended up right here, however I believed this publish was good. I do not realize who you might be but certainly you're going to
    a famous blogger when you aren't already. Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my webpage 24option review

    ReplyDelete

Dear Reader,
Thank You for your valuable suggestion/feedback.
I will get back to you for any queries on the recipe.
Thank You.